Thursday, April 29, 2010

Baby Spinach Harvest!

I made calzones for dinner tonight. The recipe called for 10 ounces of spinach, but the bag I bought was only 6 and I had just about 4 ounces ready for picking in my garden. I finally got to harvest something besides herbs! I did a raw taste test and the garden spinach had 5 times more flavor than the store bought. Plus, it was organic! The recipe came from this months Everyday Food Magazine which is a Martha publication. My favorite thing about the magazine is the "Grocery Bag" section. It's a menu plan for weeknight dinners. There are 5 simple, wholesome, adaptable recipes that come with a shopping list. I had over half of the ingredients, so I ended up only spending $40 on groceries for this week. The recipes usually serve four, but we still had leftovers most nights, so lunches were also covered (with the help of a piece of fruit.) A subscription to EDF would be a great investment or gift. I do a jig  in front of the mailbox every month when the new issue arrives.


3 comments:

  1. That looks so good! I'm so jealous! I can't wait to start my garden adventures. :D And btw, I'm in love with the new head pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, if only they had a magazine, that had meal plans, that were piscatarian friendly... but, alas, I have yet to find one, so I will continue with my own meal planning.

    ReplyDelete