Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Seed Starting Adventures


I went to Lowe's today to grab some peat moss for my seed starting mix, but before I settled for the case of it I decided to go over to the seed starting section and see what else they had. I found a concentrated seed starting mix by Burpee for $2.47! It makes 8 quarts in seconds! The package says minutes, but it expands instantly. My Jiffy Greenhouse was $6 and the refill pellets are $3, so this method is much more economical.

I save all kind of containers for future seedlings and plants, especially egg cartons because they aren't biodegradable. They are perfect for seed starting. Here's how I do it:


You'll need seed starting mix, egg cartons, a marker for labeling, and a corn skewer for poking holes.
Poke holes in each area, fill with mix, and use sharpie to make a hole for the seeds! Follow seed packet for planting instructions.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! :D I just bought some sweet pea seeds to plant for Blake (since we always call him sweet pea). I figure it can be nice starting thing to try, since I don't feel like I have the time I need right now to really jump in. So now I know how to do it!

    ReplyDelete