Monday, February 1, 2010

Planting & Purpose


I planted seeds last week (January 21st). I planned out four 4X4 raised beds. So far I have planted Romaine, Tomatoes, Sweet & Hot Peppers, Leaf Lettuce, Beets, Onions, Basil, Parsley, Bok Choi and Cherry Tomatoes. Everything has germinated so far. I hope I can keep at least half of the seedlings alive. My compost is started and I'm hoping to make a couple of rain bins.

Cameron and I are very interested in what they're calling "Urban Homesteading." I just call it back to basics.
We're starting with the vegetable garden this year and in the next few will hopefully venture into raising poultry, planting fruit trees, home brewing, canning/preserving, needlework etc.
There are so many blogs and books with tutorials and great information. I'll have to pick through my faves and share them here. I'm sharing this information because I think that this blog is going in the direction of tracking our experience and growth as "Urban Homesteaders" I will probably change the name of my blog to correspond with it's purpose and hopefully will get a new look and some kind of logo. Maybe...if I'm successful enough I'll even do tutorials and giveaways!

Here's the family that gave me the final push of inspiration I needed to start really making efforts in transforming our lifestyle. Meet the Dervaes family.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, how absolutely inspiring!!! I really want to plant some stuff, but Blacky (our dog) would ruin it all. :( She's pretty destructive! I really want to grow my own food! I don't really want to be a vegetarian since I love love love chicken, but I don't really eat any other meat. And I really don't want to go without electricity (or toilet paper! haha), but some of this I think I can do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try container gardening. I know of people that have planted tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets. Cameron's mom planted tomatoes, bell peppers and potatoes in these big plastic pots. That way your dog can't reach them...unless it's a huge dog. Then I have no idea. I love chicken too and seafood. Beef is the least sustainable meat we could eat, so I feel like that's a good start. Everything in balance.
    I tried to imagine life without TP and I just don't think it's worth it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and video. I would love to start gardening, I just didn't have any idea of where to begin. Off to scour the internet for ideas! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. check out http://www.squarefootgardening.com/
    and
    http://yougrowgirl.com/

    :)

    ReplyDelete