Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Thai Take Out at Home

I'm introducing another "series" here on my little piece of Blogland. I'm asked all the time if I can teach someone how to make Thai food or pass on the recipe, so I'm going to compile what I've learned from my grandmother and parents here to share with you!

I've been very blessed to grow up learning how to cook Thai food. My mother, Praphaphorn (we call her Phyllis) was born in Bangkok to my grandmother, Ratana.  They moved here when my mother was very young (I believe just a few months old). There is a rather abundant Thai (asian in general) community in this area. I'm assuming thanks to the large military community.  I've been frequenting places like Thai Saree, The Bangkok House, and the Thai Market most of my life. I remember sitting in my grandmother's salon munching on imported goods, the most memorable dry shredded squid and her showing me how to roll up balls of sticky rice. I also remember hating bamboo shoots, but stealing sips of the broth from my moms red curry. My brother and I have always had some sort of spice in our food - since the womb. For me it's not luxurious or exotic, it's normal. Don't take this wrong. I've had my fair share of meat and potatoes. My dad's parents are a whole different culinary heritage, primarily Italian-American from my grandmother Rose, but that's another story for another time.

When Cameron and I were first married I quickly realized that the only healthy and affordable dishes I  felt confident making were curry, papaya salad, beef salad, and several variations of stir fry. I could follow any recipe but when it came to throwing dinner together in a pinch on a budget these were my defaults. I've come a long way over three years, but I still find this to be true. Tonight for example, what did I do with the steak I needed to cook? Minced it, stir fried it with some basil, garlic & peppers, and threw some jasmine rice in the cooker.

I'm no culinary genius, but most Thai dishes revolve around a few basic ingredients. I'm sure you're familiar with the flavors -  lemon, lime, thai basil, cilantro, garlic, fish sauce, etc. Once you stock your pantry with the key items, you'll be set. My first "tutorial" post will be focused on this.

Here's a little forewarning. As with every culture, there are as many variations of a dish as there are families in that country. Thai people are very frugal and use the most of every resource. So, after you read or try a recipe, before you write it off as unauthentic please consider that I'm working with how my grandmother passed down her "recipes." She doesn't use recipes and measurements and every time she makes a dish it turns out different. If we have flank steak we use flank steak for beef salad. Sometimes it's a london broil. I prefer a few crushed dried shrimp and peanuts in my papaya salad. My mother can't stand it that way. I'm going to try to focus on keeping the recipes basic and simple and give tips to modify them to your tastes.

I'm so excited and can't wait to share these with you! At the end of the week look forward to locating and navigating a store of imported Asian goods!

1 comment:

  1. I am soooo excited about this! How long have I been begging you t teach me how to make Papaya salad??? I won't even attempt to follow a recipe for it that I find online, because I'm afraid it wont be like yours! haha <3

    ReplyDelete